Made this on a cold night (and by cold I mean we’ve had some -30* windchills here lately!) and it was the perfect comfort food!
The one big change I made to the recipe was substituting Iowa Girl Eats recipe for cheddar cheese sauce for the processed Velveeta.
3 cups small broccoli florets (I just chopped up 2 crowns, probably went a little over the 3 cups)
1 (8.8 oz.) pouch precooked brown rice (I used Uncle Ben’s)
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup chopped green onions
3 oz. light processed cheese (Velveeta Light) that I substituted for yummy cheese sauce
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted (I forgot this step)
1. Steam broccoli 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Don’t overdo it or your broccoli will be mushy and ruin the flavor!
2. Heat rice according to instructions. Microwave worked just fine for me!
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until done, stirring occasionally.
4. Add onions, cook until they are soft.
5. Add cheese sauce, rice, and broccoli. Cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
6. Sprinkle with almonds if you want. Or remember.